The New Parent Support Program at MCRD San Diego is an intensive prevention and outreach program that offers in-home visits, parenting education classes, information and referrals for active duty personnel and family members who are either expecting a child, or have children under the age of 6. The New Parent Support Program is a professional team of clinical social workers, marriage and family therapists and registered nurses who are experienced in newborn care, infant/child development, parent education, as well as, the unique challenges faced by military families.
Through a variety of programs, New Parent Support can help families adjust to having a new baby, cope with stress, isolation, pre and post deployment, reunification, and the everyday demands of parenting in the military.
- Be prepared for parenthood
- Become more confident
- Understand your child’s development
- Develop common ground with your spouse in the area of parenting
- Improve your relationship with your children
- Make parenting fun
- Be a better parent to your children
- Feel more at home in the military community
All of the programs below are available at no cost to military families.
For military families with children under the age of 5. Home visits can take place in the home, the New Parent Support office or any other convenient and comfortable location. Home visit topics include:
- Age appropriate discipline
- Age appropriate play
- Effective communication
- Stress management
- Deployment issues
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Newborn care
- Sibling rivalry
- Toilet training and much more.
For expectant active duty personnel and their spouses. Baby Boot Camp covers everything a parent needs to know to take care of their newborn, as well as, information on resources for the whole family, including:
- The role of a parent
- Developmental stages of infants
- Basic infant care
- Child safety
- Pre and postpartum emotions
Classes are held on the last Wenesday of every other month from 0830-1600. Please call for dates, registration, and class location.
||Nuturing Infant Massage 2014 Class Schedule Coming Soon
• National Military Family Association
• FOCUS: Family Resiliency Training™ for Military Families
New Parent Support Home Visitor
New Parent Support Program
3602 Hochmuth Avenue
Building 6 East
San Diego, CA 92140
Monday - Friday
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM